Please include Mercurial command line tool is Endless OS

I’d like to put a request in for the Mercurial source code management command line tool (alternative to git). It has good support in Atlassian Bitbucket and is probably 2nd only to git as an SCM.

It was not installed as part of any of the flatpak runtimes (freedesktop and Gnome platforms) and I really need that to manage my code trees.

One weakness of flatpak it seems is it’s pretty good at managing larger desktop applications but it doesn’t present a good solution for small command line tools. For example, who’s going to bother building a flatpak for a small CLI utility? If you’re lucky it might make it into a flatpak platform runtime, but they can’t include everything someone might need.

I think what’s needed is a “developer” focused flatpak based on Linux LSB with the tools you’d find in busybox plus the most common tool chains, utilities, compilers, profiling tools, debuggers, etc. that a developer would need. Maybe Endless would consider putting something like that together?

1 Like

Agreed, flatpak is not a good solution for packaging individual command line tools: things such as Mercurial would be meant to operate inside a sandbox, rather than in their own separate sandbox.

The developer focused flatpak does exist: it’s org.freedesktop.Sdk (and all the other SDKs such as org.gnome.Sdk and com.endlessm.Sdk are based on it.) My suggestion would be to take a look at https://github.com/flatpak/freedesktop-sdk-images and suggest there that they add hg, or even better make a pull request for it.