Problem Creating Endless USB Stick

In the course of trying to create an ENDLASS OS USB Stick, I experienced the following problem.
At the start of the 2nd step (writing to the USB drive), the process stopped and an error screen appeared informing me that the USB drive could not be used, and asking me if I would like to re-try with a different device.
I opened Windows Explorer to check the USB drive, (which was originally designated as E drive), and found that it had been split into three drive partitions E, G and F. I ejected the USB stick and, after a system restart, re-inserted it back into the PC. When I again checked for the USB drive in Windows Explorer, it was not displayed and is now no longer recognized by my system.
I then retried the process with a new unused 32GB USB stick and experienced exactly the same problem, which now leaves me with two unusable USB sticks.
I would be most grateful for some explanation as to what has happened, and also advised if it is possible to salvage my two USB sticks.
EndlessInstaller20171030_22_44_39.log (45.9 KB)

Hi,

Very unlucky timing! Late yesterday I released a new version of the installer tool that should avoid this problem.

First, to recover your USB sticks, try downloading Rufus and using it to reformat the disk. If this doesn’t work, try a Linux or Mac computer if you have one.

Then, download a new copy of the Endless Installer from our website. If you save it to the same directory as the old copy, you won’t need to download the OS images a second time. On the very first screen, you can look in the bottom right corner: in small grey text is the version number. It should be 3.3.2.0 for the fixed version.

An explanation of what’s going on, if you’re interested: the short version is that some race conditions plus bad interactions with Windows’ storage APIs cause the process to fail. The new version has some more robust logic, taken from a newer version of Rufus (our installer is actually based on Rufus). The three partitions are actually all necessary: one is an EFI System Partition for booting the USB stick on EFI systems; the second is a BIOS Boot partition for BIOS systems; the third holds the Endless OS files. Because Endless OS images are generally larger that 4 GB, they can’t be stored on a FAT partition; but EFI systems require a FAT partition for the bootloader. Also, recent versions of Windows 10 have changed the behaviour for USB sticks with multiple partitions. Previously only the first would appear, but now all partitions appear even if they are unreadable! Annoying.

Hi Will,
Thanks for the support.
Everything worked out fine.
Love Rufus! My two USB sticks now recovered.
Kind Regards
Peter Malkin
Thailand

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

Great – but were you able to write Endless OS to one of them using the new version of our installer?

Yes - the Endless writing process work as advertised.

Kind Regards

Peter Malkin
Thailand

1 Like

Jane ngene iki nganggo boso jawa yaaa… yaaa…:roll_eyes: