Problem with my laptop keyboard endless 3.9.0

Hello,

So i instaled the new endless os 3.9.0, and everything works fine but when i try to use my laptop keyboard it doesn’t work i tryed everything, from useing terminal to uninstall and reinstall the os, and it doesn’t work. If i put an external keyboard it works so i dont know whats the problem. And my laptop keyboard is working just fine in a Microsoft windows. Can you please help me?

Hi, Can you send us a diagnostic?

https://support.endlessos.org/en/help-center/How-do-I-make-a-debug-log-of-Endless-OS

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal
  2. In this application run the command:

sudo eos-rollback

I too had a similar issue. My keyboard was already malfunctioning (I will post this on a different thread, it is an Asus laptop) but I could still use an external keyboard (with no issue). After upgrading to EOS 3.9.0, even the external keyboard started to give strange issues (e.g. write 3 instead of letter “l”). Many keys provided numbers instead of letters.

Luckily, I managed to rollback by the command mentioned above (after the command, there is a prompt for password; I had to write the password in Geany (Kate also would have been ok) and replace the wrong keys copying them from some text by using copy & paste with the mouse). After rollback and the reboot, the keyboard (external in my case) was again ok.

REMARK. I wonder if the cause might be just the Block for Digits in the external keyboard (possibly I did not pay sufficient attention to this). I would like to try again. How should I operate to reload the upgrade to 3.9.0 and, in case I find the issue persists, can I rollback again safely?

This problem is affecting several users - most of which are Asus laptops. @egrath has posted details of a workaround, but we don’t yet understand why this problem exists or how to address it in a more comprehensive fashion. We even tested 13 Asus laptops but none of them exhibited the problem.

Would anyone who is facing this issue (keyboard not working after update to latest Endless version) be interested in helping us understand the problem via a remote access debugging session? (This can be done even if you have put @egrath’s workaround in place)

• This would involve coordinating over WhatsApp. We would agree on a time slot somewhere between 8am and 8pm Taiwan time (GMT+8).
  • You’d need an internet connection and an external keyboard.
  • On my instruction, you would run a command that grants me remote access.
  • I would have full admin access to your computer, documents, etc. (I will not be looking at those, but I want to make you aware of the level of access you are granting.)
  • At some points during the session I will ask you to press keys on the internal keyboard.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.