PythonTurtle and/or wxPython install

Hi,
I was interested to run PythonTurtle (https://pythonturtle.org/) on Endless. I was having issues because of the need for wxPython. It seems there is no wheel for wxPython for Endless — at least when I tried pip installing it into a virtual environment it failed to be able to compile.

Then I had issues finding a compiler, but imagine there would be several hoops to jump through (or maybe just a few “forwarding” scripts to run gcc and the like in from a container – for which I couldn’t find one with build tools).

No matter the case about PythonTurtle, I think wxPython is a great GUI toolkit to develop with, how can this be done on Endless?

Directly, it’s not possible as Endless OS does not have a compiler nor the required build dependencies. If you want to run tools like PythonTurtle, use toolbox to run a instance of Fedora or Debian on EOS and us it inside this container. To run a Fedora toolbox, it’s just a matter of:

toolbox create

and then

toolbox enter

To run applications based on wxWidgets natively on Endless OS, you need to build your application against the corresponding Flatpak SDK/Runtime and distribute it as a .flatpak file or online at flathub.

Thanks! That’s super helpful. Got it all working now.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.