Endless OS 3.8.1 was released for existing users today, May 18th, 2020.
Downloadable images for new users will be available in the next few days.
Improvements and Changes
- We’ve updated to Chromium 81.0.4044.138 bringing new security fixes to Endless’ built-in web browser.
- We are now shipping VMWare Guest Tools on Endless OS, which should provide a better experience when running Endless as a guest OS on VMWare.
- VMWare Player used to present an error message when importing Endless OS OVF images. This is fixed now and no error is presented.
- The configuration steps for parental controls during Initial Setup are now correctly translated to the selected language (if translations are available) rather than always displayed in English (as they were in Endless OS 3.8.0).
- Removing the password from an administrator account by choosing “Do not require a password when logging in” in Settings now work as expected.
- In previous releases, the App Center would sometimes not show or install all available application updates. This has now been resolved.
- The App Center now installs missing translations for installed applications when the system language is changed.
- In past releases, suspending and resuming the computer during Initial Setup would show a password prompt, requiring a reboot to restart the process. This is now fixed.
- When choosing an avatar in Settings → Users, Endless’s custom avatars are now offered once again.
- Endless OS 3.8.0 inadvertently dropped support for selecting a keyboard layout in password dialogs when using a non-latin keyboard layout. This has now been reinstated.
- An imminent release of Kolibri will support desktop search; Endless OS 3.8.1 enables this by default on new systems.
- Some other minor bugfixes and improvements.
We are releasing an updated version of our Windows installer tool!
- Live USB sticks of EOS 3.7.4 or newer written using this new version of the tool support persistent storage. This means that any data created by the user, or apps installed in Live USB stick, remains available across subsequent boots of the Live USB stick. We believe this provides a better and more realistic experience when trying Endless OS via Live USBs.
- Note that when those same sticks are used to install Endless OS on a computer, the user data and apps from the Live USB stick are not transferred to the computer. The new installation starts fresh: new user accounts will need to be created, any apps that are not pre-installed in the image will need to be installed, and any data that the user wishes to keep from the Live USB needs to be manually copied.
- A few bugs when using the installer tool on Windows 7 or 8 were fixed, so the installer is now more likely to successfully create a live USB stick on those versions of Windows.
- When you unlock your screen, sometimes the icons may disappear from your desktop. If this happens, clicking the desktop should make the icons reappear.
- While shared folders between host and guest work on both VirtualBox and VMWare, they are not automatically mounted. The user will need to manually mount them in Endless OS.
- The RTL8822BE WiFi card stopped working on Endless 3.8.0. If you are experiencing a problem where your WiFi networks are not being listed after updating to EOS 3.8.0, check the model of your WiFi card by running eos-diagnostics in the Terminal, and opening the file it generates. Look in the PCI devices section for an entry that says WiFi adapter or Wireless Network Adapter. If the model is RTL8822BE, please see this post on our community forum.