Remote control support app

I’m testing Endless with my mother in mind. She’s a very limited computer user and will need a lot of support to get comfortable with it. I don’t live close enough to be there for her in person. Is there any remote support option currently? I can’t see anything in the app store. I’m interested in something similar to TeamViewer, Logmein, etc… Does anyone have a suggestion? Is this on the “to do” list already? Without this, I will not suggest she use this OS for her new computer. I was thinking the Mission computer would work, but remote support is a necessity.

Endless has preinstalled “Vinagre” as a remote desktop viewer, so in most cases you can use SSH or VNC as protocols to connect to your computer. You can also try a Google Chrome extension as “Chrome Remote Desktop”. Before check in the Endless control center sharing options and activate the remote desktop sharing.

1 Like

Chrome Remoting is probably the most ‘limited computer user friendly’ option that’ll work easily. We’re tracking a few other systems as this is a fairly frequent community request - if anyone sees or creates existing flatpaks of this sort of software do let us know - that makes it rise up my priority list.

1 Like

Chrome remote actually does not work as it cannot be installed into EndlessOS (you can only connect FROM EndlessOS, but not TO it).

For VNC, I have in Settings->Sharing->Screen Sharing as Active with password (8 digits), it says it should allow me to VNC to the EndlessOS, yet it does not with error message “Not supported authentication methods!”.
(Tight VNC and Ultra VNC from Windows)

Anyone able to connect using VNC, please? I wonder what am I doing wrong :frowning:

1 Like

OK, found it myself, hope it will help other lamers like me :wink:
In order to connect to VNC server (vino) on EndlessOS from Windows, encryption on the server must be disabled.
To do so, execute from Terminal following:
$ gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false

This has been posted from PC running EndlessOS controlled remotely from Windows 7 computer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it possible to post here a more detailed “tutorial”?
On EndlessOS on Settings->Sharing->Screen Sharing I see a connection address as: “vnc://computername.local”. This does not look like an address that I can remotely access. Maybe only in a LAN. Then I tried the “Tight VNC” viewer. Here it is expected also a port number.

I need to access the EndlessOS (parents laptop for eventual support) from my Windows.
Is there a way to setup an access address, accessible from WAN (different city)?
If yes, how they can comunicate the current address (e.g. IP, port)?