Screen backlight and GRUB problem on Asus EEE PC

Greetings.

I’ve managed to install the latest EOS (3.5) on Asus EEE 1215B but at first I couldn’t see the logon screen because it was too dark. This is a known problem on some Linux distros and specific hardware.

After some googling, I’ve managed a successful logon by temporarily editing GRUB kernel parameters at boot time. The following parameters do solve the problem: acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

Problem is I can’t make these kernel parameters stick permanently. The traditional GRUB configuration method of editing variable “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT” on file “/etc/default/grub” e using command “update-grub” does not work on EOS. I get a message stating that the command does not work on a OSTREE system.

How can I add these kernel parameters to GRUB configuration on EOS? Is there another way to configure the kernel? Is it possible to install EOS with permanent kernel configuration changes?

If I can’t find a workaround to this, I’ll have to give up EOS. I can’t even run the live ISO image from a usb stick without editing the GRUB kernel parameters at boot time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The kernel command line is set in /boot/loader/entries and each time an update is applied, the previous command line is copied to the new one. So if you edit the highest version number file in that folder, ostree-2-eos.conf (or whatever version you have), you can set options that will apply to the current version and will be preserved across updates.

Thank you, R! Problem solved.

Looking forward to trying EOS out.