[Solved] Endless not start after installing Windows 10

Hello!
Sorry for my bad English.

I have notebook with Installed Endless OS. Yesterday I install Windows 10 as second OS. But after install I not see choice menu between Endless OS and Windows 10. Windows boots automatically. I want return opportunity to boot Endless OS. Endless and Windows installed on a GPT file system. Endless OS partitions are intact. I think… Windows replace or delete endless boot manager from EFI partition. I not found folder Endless into EFI partition. I too late think, I not reserved EFI paptition while Endless has been One. Help. How I repair Endless startup. I want have dual boot choice between Endless and Windows.

Thanks for your help!

@gard_area51

Hello, thanks.
But, it is no installer. Endless OS was installed on notebook. After install Windows 10 I lost opportunity for boot Endless.
:frowning:

@mhall119 could help

Yeah, Windows doesn’t like to share space with other operating systems. If you installed Windows 10 on a computer that already has Endless OS on it, most likely Windows erased it.

You will need to download a copy of Endless OS (or find someone near you with a DVD) and then you can re-install it along side Windows. But I’m afraid any data you had on Endless OS before you installed Windows has likely been deleted.

@gard_area51 could you send us screenshot of your disk partition? just hope you didn’t erase whole Endless Partition.

No, of course not. I save Endless partitions.
Partitions:

I think… same easy way… restore files EFI\Endless…
Someone have files from it directory?

Yes, exactly, you need to restore those files then add an EFI boot entry. Do you know which version of Endless OS your system came with? Here’s the boot.zip bundle for the latest version, 3.3.3. Follow these steps:

• Download this ZIP file
  • Unpack it
  • Create a directory in your ESP called \EFI\endless
  • Copy the files from the \EFI2\endless folder in the ZIP file to \EFI\endless on your ESP
  • Use a tool like EasyUEFI (or your firmware’s built-in boot configuration) to add a boot menu entry for \EFI\endless\shim.efi

We don’t officially support this dual-boot configuration so our GRUB menu will not show an entry for Windows; you’ll need to either modify the GRUB config by hand, or use your firmware’s boot menu to switch between Windows and Endless OS.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I recover endless efi files and I can boot Endless OS. But I not can create dual boot. Notebook boot Windows by default. I add Endless reply, use efibootmgr, but entry not store after reboot. But, if rename Microsoft folder from EFI partition, I can boot Endless.

Thanks, I glad what I can boot Endless manually.
So far I am satisfied with this decision. I always have the opportunity to boot the Endless OS, but I need to make changes manually.

Добрый день!
А чем меняли разделы?:grinning:

Менял с помощью gparted с liveCD xubuntu.
Ноутбук был не мой, уже отдал.
Двойную загрузку настроить так и не получилось. Будто EFI ноутбука, как только видит каталог Microsoft, так сразу загружает только его. Но Если каталог переименовать, грузится Endless. хотя бы так…

Спасибо!
Я про линукс не подумал. Вин7 не запустился, а вин10 только загрузочная, какой-нибудь parted не запустить.
Линуксовый gparted в ЕОС не встал - только из магазина.
пришлось все снести.

Privet! I’m trying to achieve the same. I thought EasyBCD (editor for Win bootloader) should do the job - Endless to appear in boot menu, they recommend it as a solution for Linux distros when you install Windows second. Do you know of it and did you try it here? Davai po russkiy, esli hochesh, ya horoshe ponimayu, tolyko ploho govoryu. Mne kazhetsya, ocheny slojniy tot metod kotory zdesy rekomenduiut. Я думал только надо создать нового партишана, инстал Уина, потому исправить бутлодера через EasyBCD и все готово, Endless надо бы в бут меню следующая загрузка - так как Linux работает, посколко я прочел. Попробовал лы EasyBCD?

Are there any updates on this matter? Did anyone manage to combine these two systems (installing Windows, while Endless OS is already installed) on one computer, so that it is available to choose from both of them?

Thanks a lot. No one is interested in a way of installing Endless on Windows. A lot of people who bought their new laptops want to preserve the original version of Endless installed on their computer and add Windows. I mean, are there any updates in that direction? Did anyone figure out how to enter the EFI firmware settings and ensure there is a boot menu entry for both the Windows and Endless bootloaders like in this advice:
Back up all important data
Boot a Linux USB stick
Shrink the big ext4 ostree partition (there are many guides online for how to do this; I personally would use resize2fs and sfdisk in a terminal, both of which are included in Endless OS)
Boot the Windows installer
Install Windows to the empty space
Once Windows is installed, enter the EFI firmware settings and ensure there is a boot menu entry for both the Windows and Endless bootloaders
Use the firmware’s boot menu to switch between the two.

Of course, you say, “don’t make the things complicated, just install Windows, and then Endless OS”. There is a great “BUT”. What if people liked the original version installed on their PC, say Endless 3.3.19, with the precise amount of files etc…Another Endless OS will be similar to it but there will be differences. That’s not what users look for. Please, if anybody figures out how to install Windows as SECONDARY system, I would be really grateful for that information (as would millions of people who bought new Acer laptops in 2018).

Believe us, that is the top relevance issue now for the users, not how many encyclopedias will be included, not the applications, everyone just wants to know how to combine Windows with your operating system (not vice versa). For the God’s sake, do something reasonable in this direction. Imagine a situation: billions of people purchase new laptops…They enjoy the original system. Do they have to delete it, then install Windows, then install the system again but already different modification, not what they initially liked? That is the constructive criticism, and I suppose that thousands of people will agree with me. Make the feature of double-booting Windows with Endless, not Endless with Windows, because the latter option is really irrelevant to the purchasers of laptops. That would be the clever decision, I’m telling you.

I believe that the only reason you did not do this earlier is that you are afraid of Microsoft and their reaction to this move. Well, have the guts. If you decided to make the ultimately-reachable system for poor and uneducated people, then stick to this line till the end. If you created something new, give it a chance to be in the forefront. Otherwise, what’s the point of your efforts?