Starting system by USB-Stick with latest Endless OS 6.0 always results in shim verification error

Bug Report

Hardware: Clevo L140CU Notebook
OS Version: Windows 11 22H2, Build 22621.3880
Locale: Germany
Application: Endless OS Version 6.0

== Description: ==
Trying to start the abovementioned flashdrive with EOS 6.0 on it, that always results in the error message as follows: “Veryfing shim SBAT data failed. … SBAT self test failed”, with system shutdown shortly later.

Disabling “Secure Boot” in BIOS prior, the display shows Endless OS’s splash screen without anything other to happen for hours on end, th only option then being a hard shutdown.

Did you download an ISO image? Have you checked its checksum?

Hello Will,

thank you for your reply, the checksum’s check of the downloaded .iso was all okay. Older versions (i. e. Versions 4 & 5), all of them verified, too) at least showed the Systems background picture with even the mouse-cursor being movable, but nothing else, the protocol - among many other things - showing the impossibility of loading important parts of GNOME. So the problem here seems to be my very machine, Clevo L140CU, seeming to end up at the wall soon.

Endless OS had been kind of my last hope somehow, the reason being some information Endless had implemented a way of circumventing Linux being kicked out by increasing numbers of machines with their drive-access modes limited to only Intel RST in their BIOSs, rendering the internal drives invisible to Linux that way. As it was said, Endless had implemented Linux kernel’s existing possibility of remapping NVME drives to the pci-bus & that way making them visible not only to Windows, but also to Linux.

But meanwhile its anyway useless for me of further going after that matter. As the reason for that, I meanwhile got to know of Endless OS simply having abandoned exactly that possibility, oddly predicating that step - If I got things right further - upon claiming no machines of that kind being around any more. The opposite is true, though, and in ever increasing numbers.

So, currently I assume, that also in this case those reports mentioned above are again mere rumours.

Sincerely

JS

Correct – Endless OS 6 no longer supports this remapped NVME configuration.

We do have some metrics data on how many systems are prevented from upgrading to Endless OS 6 by this change: around 4.6% of our userbase in July.

It is unfortunate but as a small team we have to choose where to focus our attention. Maintaining this functionality has become more difficult over time – it was broken in the 5.1.0 release in a way that prevented such systems from booting at all, and we had to source second-hand hardware to diagnose and fix the problem – and there is no path to it being supported upstream in Linux.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.