SUCCESS! EOS nicely running in slum school in Kibera Nairobi

WE ARE HAPPY TO REPORT THAT EOS IS nicely running in our small but ambitious slum school in Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya. We are serving 200 kids age 4-17. For purposes of equipping our kids with digital knowledge and skills, we are using aged laptops (5-12 years) as well as iMacs from 2010 AND: teachers and kids are very happy, they endlessly love using them! Small issues probably related to the AMD/ATI-Drivers (artefacts on some pull down menus…or when changing users, etc.) are no show stoppers. … However, we are really missing the wonderful Vivadli Browser, which should really be made available, PLEASE!
goodhearts.ch

3 Likes

Wow, fantastic work, thanks for sharing this!
We’d love to have Vivaldi available under Endless OS, and in order for that to happen, it would have to be made available as a flathub. Perhaps you could use the story of your efforts to motivate Vivaldi’s developers to do this, perhaps on this forum:

Thanks, I shall do that. Meanwhile Ravi of TechMint has promised
to add eos on their list of best Linux Distros for Kids :wink:

Apart from that... besides delivering a really amazing

experience, there is a slight issue with running eos on iMac late
2010, which we have found a workaround for: Straight away from
booting eos the 'screen brightness is set to minimal and can’t be
adjusted in display/power settings (you can play with that slider
as much as you like but it has no effect on the screen). The only
way we found to solve this is to actualls “Suspend” the system and
after waking it up even 10 seconds later (eos is running on SSD),
it resumes with amazingly fully bright display :wink: Maybe there is
a better way of tackeling this issue, just in case you stumble
across one … Thanks!

I’m pleasantly surprised that Endless works to some degree on that dated & not-quite-PC hardware!

In a terminal, as root, you can check which backlight controls are available with the following command:

# grep -l . /sys/class/backlight/*/max_brightness
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness

In the example above I just have the one, intel_backlight. You may get more than one result.

For every file listed by that command, check the maximum supported brightness level, in my case that is:

# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness

Maximum brightness is 7500. Now attempt to set that value. Note that max_brightness changed to brightness in this final command:

# echo 7500 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

done :wink:

Thanks, I added ‘sudo’ to each command and followed all the way
… my graphics being acpi_video0 and having max brightness value
15, BUT: when i try to run the last command it always says
Permission denied … :frowning:

Run sudo -i first to become root, then re-run the final command without sudo.

Just a sidenote: If you want to allow ordinary users to change the backlight with this method, you can use the following udev rule the set the appropriate permissions:

/etc/udev/rules.d/98-acpi-brightness.rules:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="backlight", KERNEL=="intel_backlight", RUN+="/usr/bin/chmod uga+w /sys/class/backlight/%k/brightness"

Then, reboot your machine for the rule to take effect.

Thanks guys, you are just wondeful, God bless you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.