Support for epson all-in-one L 380

Hello to all. Just installed Endless OS.The printer was automatically detected but the printer was printing random characters. Changing the printer driver to Epson L 210 corrected the printing. However, the scanner is not detected. can any body help.

@rbhatt
Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

Hi there, thanks for your report and I’ll look internally at this. I know we did some work to add support to for the printer driver for this device in Endless OS 3.2.5 so it’s sad news if there’s issues. Those drivers come directly from the manufacturer or open source community and are integrated directly, so I’ll investigate to see if there’s any further updates.

On the scanner front I’ll have to look more closely but I don’t think we have great support for Epson scanners currently as they have a slightly complex licence for their drivers. I’m hoping to be able to do some work in future that would make integrating printer and scanner drivers easier and quicker but that’s not due soon I’m afraid.

Hi @rbhatt,

Unfortunately, the Epson L380 is currently not supported by Endless OS, since it requires a specific type of printer driver (Epson ESC/P Driver for L380/L382 Series) that we can’t pre-install with the OS as we can do with the more generic ESC/P-R driver, which supports many Epson Inkjet printers already.

Still, @Nick_Richards is right in that we improved support for Epson printers recently but, sadly, that improved support does not cover the L380 since those improvements were related to updating to a newer version of the ESC/P-R driver, which is the one that we pre-install with the OS, as mentioned before.

Now the good and the bad news:

The good news is that Endless OS provides a tool (called eos-config-printer) that looks for additional printer drivers for certain printers whose drivers we can’t pre-install in a website called openprinting.org and, if found, it offers the user the possibility of automatically downloading and installing such driver on the only condition of manually accepting the software license. This is the case, for instance of the Epson L210 series: http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-L210_Series.

The bad news is that openprinting.org is a community-based service that relies on people reporting printers and drivers, and no one has reported anyone for the Epson L380 yet, so eos-config-printer won’t be able to find it automatically. I reported it myself a few minutes ago (see http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-L380_Series), but it was the first time I reported one and I’m not sure that will be successful because, not having the printer myself, I couldn’t have all the information required, but at least I wanted to try, let’s see what they say.

In the meantime what I can tell is that it should be possible to install the right driver if you go to http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/, search for L380 there and then manually extract the files from the package in there to /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201601w/ and then manually change the driver by clicking on “Install from PPD file…” from the printers panel in the control center and selecting /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201601w/ppds/Epson/Epson-L380_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz. That said, you might only want to do that if you notice any weirdness printing with the driver of the L210 (since apparently that works for you?), I just mention it just in case.

Now all this is just to get the printer working. To get the scanner working in theory you should be able to use it by running the application called “Simple Scan”, although you might need to select the right “Source” in the preferences menu (in the popup at the icon in the top left corner of the app’s window). If that does not work, it might mean that the scanner requires some proprietary bits from Epson that would require the ImageScan utility to work.

The problem is that you can’t install this utility on Endless because of how the OS works (which does not allow installing things in /usr), which is why Endless OS ships it already, although it’s a bit “hidden” since it’s not useful for every user out there (it’s Epson specific). The way you would run it would be by:

1. Open the application “Terminal”
  2. Type imagescan and press ENTER

If everything goes right, you should see Epson’s ImageScan utility’s window show up. The problem is that such utility is currently broken on Endless, and you’ll likely only see this message:

$ imagescan 
/bin/sh: 1: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/utsushi/utsushi-scan-gtkmm: not found

However, the good news is that we’re working on fixing that internally and it should hopefully be fixed soon with one of the following updates.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the long comment.

Mario

Hi. Thanks for the detailed reply. I am sorry i was not able to respond earlier. The printer is working fine with L 210 driver enabled. Unfortunately, the scanner is not. It is same in other distributions, like ubuntu. In ubuntu you have to first install ‘imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-17.04-1.3.21.x64.deb’ from the EPSON website and then edit the epson2.conf file in /etc/sane.d by adding the product and vendor id and then rebooting. We can only hope that drivers for GNU/Linux can be bundled in the distribution itself in future.

regards

rbhatt

Hi. Sorry for the delayed reply. I am attaching the ‘eos-diagnostic-171014_180111_UTC+0530.txt’ file.

regards

rbhatteos-diagnostic-171014_180111_UTC 0530.txt (288.5 KB)