Support for VirtualBox on Endless OS host

Regarding VirtualBox - are there any plans to ship the VirtualBox Kernel Modules needed to run VirtualBox on a EOS Host? Personally i think this would open a huge amount of possibilities for EOS in terms of virtualization, especially 3D accelerated Windows guests (which is currently not possible with KVM)

No plans as far as I know. Some thoughts:

• Presumably there is a tight coupling between the version of the kernel modules, and the version of VirtualBox itself.
  • How to install VirtualBox the app, even if the modules are present?
  • There was extensive discussion between Flatpak developers (including our own Rob McQueen and Matthew Leeds) and Michael Thayer from VirtualBox/Oracle about this a year or so back. It was rather inconclusive; aside from kernel drivers, there are parts of VirtualBox which must be setuid root – this is not really possible with Flatpak’s security model.

I tought about Endless delivering Virtualbox as a core application which runs as a native application in EOS :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.