Terminal: "Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead"

Hello there. I’ve been trying to download Steam through the Endless app center, but it won’t open, saying that “You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run: libc.so.6”. I’ve searched around the internet for solutions and one that I’ve often founda was to open the Terminal and type “sudo apt-get update”, followed by some other steps. Although, whenever I try to do that in my laptop, the result is always as follows:

Reading package lists… Done
W: Failed to fetch http://obs-master.endlessm-sf.com:82/shared/eos/dists/eos3.6/InRelease Could not connect to obs-master.endlessm-sf.com:82 (52.25.213.40), connection timed out
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Does anyone know why that may be happening?

What version of Endless OS are you using?
To check which version of Endless OS you are in Settings :arrow_right: Details

I am currently using 3.6.2

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command:

flatpak install --system flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386 -y

Did it. The following message appeared:

Looking for matches…
Skipping: org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386/x86_64/18.08 is already installed

flatpak reinstall --system flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386 -y

eos-diagnostic-190809_175114_UTC-0300.txt (911.5 KB)

Also, if it may be of any help, the .txt above is an EOS Diagnostic made through the Terminal app.

Tried the reinstall command. but the following error message appeared:

error: ‘reinstall’ is not a flatpak command. Did you mean ‘install’?

See ‘flatpak --help’

flatpak install --reinstall flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386 -y

Did it. Installation complete, according to the terminal.

flatpak update --appstream && flatpak update -y
flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

Took some time, but it worked! Thank you so much!

Interesting to know how Flatpak is different. Def something I’m going to learn if I ever have another problem working with the Terminal app. But for now, it’s time for me to kick into the gaming world of Steam :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.