Tweaking The Taskbar

Hello fellow community members. I just sign up to post this here as I received an email from the administration to join the community and make my idea known to gather support for it.

For those who are new to computing the Endless OS is by far the cleanest and simplest Linux OS I have seen or used and it is a real joy in it’s simplicity.
I come from a background of experience with Microsoft’s Windows OS and a short time with Apples iOS.

But my heart has always been with Linux because I started out with them. Unfortunately most Linux today is no better to use than any other OS out there.

That is until the Endless OS came about.
I enjoy the simplicity of it and it’s very clean interface but what I find hard to accept is that I cannot even remove programs or make the taskbar to my individual preference.

2 Likes

You can’t remove apps which are shipped as part of the OSTree. This includes LibreOffice and core apps like the file manager. You should be able to remove most other apps, which are distributed as Flatpaks.

You can right-click icons on the taskbar to pin or unpin them from the taskbar.

Can you clarify what exactly you can’t remove that you feel you need to, or what taskbar tweaks you feel are essential to your computing experience?

Thank You for taking the time to respond.

For the record I do not want to remove any core programs, I just want the ability to get them off my taskbar.
I did the right click and nothing happen, both as a basic stand alone install and as a complete version along side another OS and still the right click does nothing. Which I will admit I found to be rather odd.

UPDATE:

I loaded Endless again and am on it now, the right click works but only for the programs on the left side of the task bar, will not work on anything to the right side. Cannot remove Facebook, so I’m guessing it’s been embedded into the $ystem. (oh well it was just to good to be true I suppose)

Your ‘s’ key seems to be intermittently broken!

Try this command in a terminal.

gsettings set org.gnome.shell enable-social-bar false
1 Like

Ye ha ! Excellent, oh man this is good, Thank You very much. Later on today I’ll do a nice clean install of Endless as the stand alone full on load of 20.50GB. (it’s now worth the 12+ hours it took to download it)

Happy Days are here again …