What is the official word on EFI support?

We have a number of desktop and all-in-one computers that support (U)EFI, and Endless support for EFI booting seems spotty at best. Even our 6th-gen Intel Core series desktops refuse to boot the Endless installer USB in EFI mode. The installer throws up a lot of errors and even if it eventually boots, the machine will refuse to boot in EFI mode unless we switch it back to legacy mode.

I know that Debian supports EFI, so can someone explain to me what the issue is?

Can you please give some information about your devices:

1. Which vendors are the devices?
  2. Are they all running the latest Firmware?
  3. Is SecureBoot enabled? Which set of Keys is used (Default one provided by the device vendor i assume?)
  4. Can you please try to boot the EFI loader directly after installation if that is possible with these devices. To do so, select the EFI/endless/grubx64.efi Loader (regular one, no SecureBoot), or EFI/endless/shimx64.efi Wrapper (SecureBoot)

Personally i run a few different devices from HP ranging from i7 2nd-Generation to i9 10th-Generation all booting with UEFI without any issues, even with SecureBoot enabled.

Okay, after further digging, it looks like the problem was with Endless 3.7.6, which we have been using for some time. I can’t recreate the problem with the 3.8.4 installer.

We have been disabling Secure Boot as standard procedure. Are you saying that Endless now supports Secure Boot?

Yes SecureBoot is supported

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.