Working with Endless OS on the Pinebook Pro

I have Endless OS installed on the emmc drive on the Pinebook Pro. It does run fairly well. It has been getting a few updates. The SD card reader still is not seen when running from the emmc, and sleep does not work. The battery gauge does not show up in the system tray. I did manage to get wifi working, and I am not sure what I had been doing wrong for so long.

Endless does not have fractional scaling enable, which would make the screen easier to read with my old eyes. I enable larger text in the accessibility settings, but it would be nice if the text were larger still. In a regular Gnome install you can use Gnome Tweaks to set the text to any size you wish. I have not found method to do that on Endless.

I had picked up an NVME adapter for the machine when I picked up a dock. I finally got an NVME drive for the machine. Generally on the Pinebook Pro with an NVME drive, one installs “/boot” on the emmc and installs “/” on the NVME. I am not sure that is possible to do with Endless OS, or really even how I would setup that up.

It would be nice to be able to move “/home” to the NVME anyway and well once again I am not sure that is possible with Endless OS or how to do that.

Thanks for the feedback! I think you’re the first to report back from this platform.

There are some rough edges, this basically represents the state of “vanilla” Linux on the device, hopefully these things will improve over time.

I think you can probably enable fractional scaling by running in the Terminal

gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"

(you probably need to run that as your user account, not root)

For the /home thing you could try to set up a fstab.d or systemd mount unit that mounts your NVME disk at /sysroot/home during early boot. Not sure if this will work smoothly though, so be prepared to throw away the setup and start again if things fail badly.

Thanks for responding, it is good to hear that “hopefully things will improve over time.”

The gsettings set in the terminal did work. Gnome does not implement that very well. 125%, 150%, and 175% settings take a big hit on preformance. The “Larger Text” works very well, however it does not allow the user to select the text size. Text size is exposed in Gnome Tweaks and does a great job, but setting the text size is not exposed in Gnome’s accessibility settings.

Nix OS has created an exceptionally nice boot loader for ARM devices, which allows for configuration of boot devices (see https://nixos.wiki/wiki/NixOS_on_ARM)

I think that Endless OS and the Pinebook Pro are a great combination. It is a solid running powerful and relatively inexpensive device.

You could also try:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 1.6

Experiment with the value - 1.0 is the default.

Thanks for the gsettings info. Changing the text size worked very well. I can now read and use the UI, without the performance hit one takes when using scaling.

1 Like