World clock app crashes when selecting GMT time zone

I’m trying to use the world clock to add GMT time (Greenwich, England). The world clock app crashes every time I type in “GMT,” or "Greenwich."eos-diagnostic-190605_140148_UTC-0400.txt (2.4 MB)

can you run gnome-clocks via Terminal and report the output when it’s crashing. If that doesn’t yield anything useful, try the following:

1. Start in the Debugger:
gdb /usr/bin/gnome-clocks
  1. Start execution by entering r and Enter.
  2. When the Program crashes, enter bt full in the Debugger and post the output.

Please try switching to the beta channel, or waiting a few days for the final 3.6.0 release, and let us know whether you can reproduce this issue. A much newer version of Clocks is included; I can’t reproduce a crash following your instructions on this version.

Updated to 3.6.0. World clock no longer crashes when adding Greenwich, UK, however, it shows the wrong time on subsequent launches.

I should mention that I’m dual-booting EndlessOS with Windows.

I’m curious whether you’re expecting the “Greenwich, United Kingdom” time to be GMT, or the local time in Greenwich (they are different at this time of year).

It’s possible that’s relevant. As you may know, Windows prefers to store local time in the hardware real-time clock, whereas Linux prefers to store UTC there. When implementing the dual-boot installer, I’m pretty sure we configured Windows to store UTC in the RTC. However… does the taskbar clock show the right time in both Endless and Windows?

Yes, both Endless and Windows show the correct time. I’ll have to try this with an Endless-only computer to see if I have the same issue.

To answer your first question, YES, I’m trying to have a world clock set to GMT, or what they now call UTC. I need to work on Apple Macintosh computers in my office, and the OS won’t install unless the date is set correctly. The DATE command in macOS / Darwin uses UTC, so it would be convenient to be able to quickly see what that time is.

OK – orthogonal to this issue you’re seeing, I suggest adding a world clock for “UTC” rather than for Greenwich :slight_smile:

Awesome. I’ll give that a try as soon as I can. For some reason, 3.6.0 refuses to boot after I did a disk cleanup in Windows, so I’m going to wipe it clean and do a fresh install.

Oh… we had issues with dual-boot breaking after defragmenting the disk but I thought those were all long since squashed. How long ago did you make this dual-boot installation? What happens when you try to boot it?

After doing a disk cleanup in Windows 10, Endless 3.6.0 would sit at the loading screen. I was able to boot into 3.5.9 successfully, however. I’ve already deleted the installation, so I’m afraid I don’t have any more information than that.

I should also mention that I’m running the new build of Windows 10 (1903), so that may have something to do with that.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.