The first beta release of Endless OS 3.6.1 is out. Please follow these instructions if you want to join the beta testing program; bear in mind that the chance of encountering serious bugs is higher than in a regular stable release. As always, please ensure your data is backed up!
Except where otherwise noted, all release notes for 3.6.0 still apply.
Smoother boot process on new installations
On new installations, the bootloaders have been updated to reduce flickering.
“Toolbox” command for Linux development
Building on the container support added in 3.6.0, Endless OS now includes toolbox, which can be used to manage containers for development and debugging.
Updated Settings and Calculator apps
These built-in apps have been updated to the versions from GNOME 3.32. Among other enhancements, Settings can now manage Thunderbolt devices (if your computer has Thunderbolt hardware), has a new panel showing resources and permissions for applications on your system, and offers more options for the Night Light feature.
Updated hardware support
A number of hardware-specific issues have been resolved.
- Fixes for HDMI audio after suspend and resume. On Asus X512DK and ASUS E406MA (and possibly other systems), HDMI audio sometimes stopped working after suspending and resuming the computer. These cases have been resolved.
- Touchpad motion is now smooth and precise on ELAN 1200 touchpad. Previously, the cursor would jump around apparently randomly when you moved it.
Other Improvements and Changes
- Highlighted text in the desktop search box is legible. In 3.6.0, entering text into the desktop search box then highlighting it would cause it to be displayed in an unergonomic white-on-white font.
- Favourites not repeated in Exploration Center. Previously, the Favorites tab in the Exploration Center page in the browser would show your favourites multiple times if you select it repeatedly. This has been resolved.
- Scratch and BillardGL moved to Flathub. These apps were previously published through Endless’s own app repository, but they are now maintained on Flathub. In the case of Scratch, the Flathub version is much newer and brings many improvements. If you have the version from Endless’s repository installed, it will be updated to the Flathub version.
- Unused files removed from system image. A few unused files have been removed from the system image, saving around 150 MB of disk space.
- File previews now open reliably. In the Documents file manager on x86_64 systems, you can press Space to open a quick preview of the currently-selected document. In 3.6.0, this would sometimes fail to open; this has now been resolved.
- Right-clicking the desktop and picking Add App opens the App Center. This was broken in 3.6.0.