The second beta release of Endless OS 3.6.3 is out. Please follow these instructions if you want to join the beta testing program; bear in mind that the chance of encountering serious bugs is higher than in a regular stable release. As always, please ensure your data is backed up!
Except where otherwise noted, all release notes for 3.6.3~beta1 still apply.
Startup and login errors fixed
Between 3.6.0 and 3.6.2, there were two known issues which could prevent you from booting or logging into your computer. Both are addressed in this release.
Certain types of disk corruption would prevent the computer from booting at all; instead, they would show the message “Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue.” In this release, the boot process will continue, although you may not be able to create new files until the problem is fixed. Please follow these instructions to recover if you are stuck at this error.
Between 3.6.0 and 3.6.2, if the file on disk which saves notifications was corrupted, the desktop would never appear after you choose a user at the login screen. This problem has been resolved in this release. If you are affected by this problem, you have three options:
- Sign in as another user, and upgrade to this version of Endless OS
- If you cannot sign in as another user, try following these instructions to switch back to an old version of Endless OS, then update the OS
- If all else fails:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + F2 to switch to text mode
- Type your username – which is normally your real name in lowercase letters, or “user” if your real name is written in non-Latin charecters – and press Enter
- If you have a password, type it, and press Enter
- Type the following command to remove the problematic file, and press Enter:
- Take a photograph of the screen
- Type the following command, and press Enter:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 to switch back to graphical mode
- Now try to log into your computer again
If you continue to have trouble starting your computer, please contact customer support.