Problem while booting: "unexpected IRQ trap"

Hi. I’ve been using a notebook that had the endless OS preinstalled for a while and never had issues so far up until this morning. When I tried to start the computer today it got stuck on the start screen. When i press escape it shows a screen that says “a start job is running for journal service” and “unexpected IRQ trap at vector 73” over and over. There’s also a timer up to 3 minutes, but when it reaches 3 it just says that it failed to start journal service and starts over again.

Is there anything i can do? Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you’re having this problem? What’s the manufacturer and model of this notebook?

It could be that this is a hardware support bug introduced in a recent OS update. You can try booting the previous version of Endless OS. The steps to do this depend on whether your notebook has BIOS or EFI firmware.

• Try holding the Shift key down when you turn on the computer. If you see a GRUB menu, rather than the Endless logo, select the older version from the list.
  • If you get the Endless logo, turn off the computer, then turn it on and hit Escape once per second. If you get the timing just right, you should get to the GRUB menu, at which point you can select the older Endless OS version from the list.
1 Like

Thanks. I made it to the GRUB menu with the latter method, but i have to say I don’t know how to boot an older version from here…

The notebook is an Acer TravelMate B117.

When you’re at that screen, type normal, then hit Enter. You should get a menu. (This is improved in a future version of the bootloader.)

1 Like

When I do that it just says “unexpected IRQ trap at vector 73” and unsuccessfully starts booting again.

Edit: Tried it again and now it worked. Thanks a lot! I don’t know what i did wrong the first time…

By “it worked”, do you mean that you were able to get to the GRUB menu and select the previous OS version? Or that booting the latest version now works?

Sorry, I didn’t make that clear. When I typed in “normal” in the GRUB menu and hit enter again, the computer booted normally without any apparent problems. I unfortunately didn’t find the menu with the previous versions…