Endless OS 3.8.4 was released for existing users today, July 6th, 2020.
Downloadable images for new users will be available in the next few days.
Live + Installer USB now working again
On Endless 3.8.0 a problem was introduced on installer USB devices created with our Endless Installer for Windows. These devices can be used to try Endless on a live boot, but the actual installation process would fail. This is now fixed with Endless OS 3.8.4 images (you should not need to download a new Endless Installer for Windows, as the problem was in the actual OS image, not in the installer tool), where these USB devices can be used both for trying Endless OS live and for installing it.
We know our images are large, take a long time to download and may have consumed some of the data allowance from your internet plan. If you have already downloaded a version of Endless OS between 3.8.0 and 3.8.3, you can install it using the alternative method described on this FAQ entry.
Other Improvements and Changes
- We’ve updated to Chromium 83.0.4103.116 bringing new improvements and security fixes to Endless’ built-in web browser.
- Sometimes unlocking the screen would show a “No apps are open” dialog or restore the last minimized application. This is now fixed.
- Dragging icons outside application folders in the desktop should now work as expected.
- The desktop was updated to fix an issue with some translations not getting applied correctly.
- The App Center was updated to fix a potential crash when the local flatpak storage is corrupted.
- Non-administrator users should now be able to modify metrics settings on Settings > Privacy > Metrics by authenticating with an administrator account when requested.
- The scanner driver libraries were updated to add support for a number of scanner models.
- Users who have installed Firefox from Endless’ app repository will be migrated to the official Mozilla version on Flathub.
- The Kolibri application is now pre-installed on new OS installations.