Unable to update/install anything

Hello!
Got an Acer Tavel Mate b117 yesterday.

I really like the endless os that ist installed (3.1.1).
But there are two problems:

1. When i try to update the os by clicking the button in “details” the system says, it is starting the download and after a few seconds it tells me, that it failed.

2. I’m not able to install apps in the app center. I can click the “install” button and after a few seconds, the “install” button returns and nothing had happened. Same with updating apps

Someone with an idea what to do?

@FoxEndless
Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

eos-diagnostic-170818_191141_UTC 0200.txt (396,2 KB)

Thanks for your fast answer. I’m not sure if i’ve done it the right way…

Aug 18 19:07:33 flow eos-updater[1351]: Fetch: eos:os/eos/amd64/eos3 resolved to: 9c37aaeaf98a3777a05c522d3a6470796fafe04221b2f1b37a1ae224395057c2
Aug 18 19:07:54 flow eos-updater[1351]: Fetch returning ERROR

Interesting, can you open a Terminal window and run this command:

eos-updater-ctl poll

and then in the same terminal run:

eos-updater-ctl

and attach the output here?

Aug 18 19:07:59 flow gnome-software-service.desktop[1369]: 17:07:59:0706 Gs  failed to call gs_plugin_app_install on flatpak: While pulling runtime/com.endlessm.Platform/x86_64/eos3.2 from remote eos-runtimes: Fehler beim Auflösen von »ostree.endlessm.com«: Der Name oder der Dienst ist nicht bekannt

Can you double-check your network connection? If you open https://ostree.endlessm.com/ in a web browser, what do you see? (You should see a “403 Forbidden” error page.)

Hello, I’m experiencing the exact same problem on my Endless OS system. I’ve followed the intructions in this topic and those are the outcomes. Please, help.
eos-diagnostic-170821_131313_UTC-0300.txt (309,8 KB)
eos-updater-ctl.txt (1,1 KB)

@AriomPF you are running Endless OS 3.2.4 which is the latest version – so I would not expect to see OS updates available.

I do see lots of errors when trying to install or updates apps, like:

Ago 21 13:02:34 endlessapf gnome-software-service.desktop[1177]: 16:02:34:0029 Gs  failed to install org.stellarium.Stellarium.desktop: No such metadata object 22584f6948663f311f2316b5c6fa0d16e677070338055129c70a4308a552bb05.commit

Not sure what’s going on – I’ll ask internally if anyone knows what to do.

@AriomPF someone suggested you try this in a terminal:

flatpak update org.stellarium.Stellarium --ostree-verbose

Attach the output here, please.

Many thanks to you :slight_smile:
I have updates my system to 3.2.4 via USB Stick from a windows PC and now nearly everything is ok.
Still, I can not install many programms, but the ones I really need are working well :slight_smile:

So may be I will come back to your suggestions later on but at the moment I am happy with my new netbook and tired of “trial and error”

ostree-verbose.txt (2,3 KB)

This is strange:

Instalando: com.endlessm.Platform/x86_64/eos3.2 de eos-runtimes
Erro: Falha ao instalar com.endlessm.Platform/x86_64/eos3.2: No such metadata object 22584f6948663f311f2316b5c6fa0d16e677070338055129c70a4308a552bb05.commit

I suspect it means there is some inconsistency in the flatpak repo on your system, but I don’t know what steps to recommend. I’ll try to find a colleague who does!

Can you run the following commands and show the output?

ostree --repo=/var/lib/flatpak/repo refs
ostree --repo=/var/lib/flatpak/repo show eos-runtimes:runtime/com.endlessm.Platform/x86_64/eos3.2

After that, try running the following:’

sudo ostree --repo=/var/lib/flatpak/repo fsck

This will take a while but hopefully completes successfully.

ostree repo.txt (2,4 KB)

Thanks for all the help guys, but it seems that the error is still there.

Yeah, that was just to see what’s going on. It seems the repo has a reference to a commit that got deleted inadvertently. Before trying to fix it, could save the output of the following command to a file and post it here?

sudo find /var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects -type f

Now to fix, run this:

sudo ostree --repo=/var/lib/flatpak/repo refs --delete eos-runtimes:runtime/com.endlessm.Platform/x86_64/eos3.2

Then try to update the app again:

flatpak update org.stellarium.Stellarium --ostree-verbose

This should get the runtime correctly installed again (hopefully).

Hey, I’m back here :wink:
I thought endless was working well after the manual USB Update to 3.2.4 except that I could not install many apps (that I thought, I’ll never need :wink: )
Now I noticed (after the scanner problems, that i described in another tab) that it would be nice to have some more apps installed. But it does not work either.
The App Center tells me that there is an update for the Endless-Platform and that is not working too (I klick and nothing happens…)
Firefox tells me in a pop up window, that there is an important update and the installation did not work because I’m not the admin
I’m not sure what to do because the suggestions you gave above where for the other user with similiar problems…

Hello, yesterday I bought a laptop Asus x541n on Endless OS 3.1.0.
Immediately there was a problem, click on “Update”, and he gives a “Error of updating” after a couple of tens of seconds. I ask for help in updating. Also I can not install many programs from the store and update them.eos-diagnostic-170831_151521_UTC 0300.txt (297,5 КБ)

@ProDumanniy
Something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

@ProDumanniy Can you please try rebooting and check if the OS upgrade to 3.2.4 completed? There was a bug with the 3.1 version that would sometimes indicate that the update failed with a similar “no such metadata object” message in the log, even though the update actually completed and just one of the old objects failed to clean up properly. We have since worked around this problem, so once you have upgraded to 3.2 you should not have that problem again. Once you have rebooted into 3.2.4, please try updating the apps again, as we have recently fixed some problems with app updates.

eos-diagnostic-170903_235357_UTC 0300.txt (579,4 КБ)

The problem is partially solved, the applications have started to be updated and loaded, but only with a kick, ie it is necessary to make several attempts that it would load the application. The system is not being updated yet.
UPD. The problem was solved, how it is not clear, but the system was updated and so far everything is normal. Thanks for the help.

eos-diagnostic-170904_170146_UTC 0200.txt (287,8 KB)

Another try, I’m still unable to update or install anything…
It would be very nice, if someone could help