Beta Release | Endless OS 3.8.1~beta1

The first beta release of Endless OS 3.8.1 is out. Please follow these instructions if you want to join the beta testing program; bear in mind that the chance of encountering bugs is higher than in a regular stable release. As always, please ensure your data is backed up!

Updated hardware support

Some firmware files that were accidentally dropped on Endless OS 3.8.0 are now being shipped again. These missing files may have caused malfunction on the following WiFi + Bluetooth adapters: RTL8723B, BCM43340, BCM43341, BCM43455, AP6212, AP6255. If your computer has any of these devices and you are experiencing problems, please update your system to this latest version.

Other Improvements and Changes

• The configuration steps for parental controls during Initial Setup are now correctly translated to the selected language (if translations are available) rather than always displayed in English (as they were in Endless OS 3.8.0).
  • Removing the password from an administrator account by choosing “Do not require a password when logging in” in Settings now work as expected.
  • In previous releases, the App Center would sometimes not show or install all available application updates. This has now been resolved.
  • The App Center now installs missing translations when the system language is changed.
  • In past releases, suspending and resuming the computer during Initial Setup would show a password prompt, requiring a reboot to restart the process. This is now fixed.
  • When choosing an avatar in Settings → Users, Endless’s custom avatars are now offered once again.
  • Some other minor bugfixes/improvements.

Known Issues

• When you unlock your screen, sometimes the icons may disappear from your desktop. If this happens, clicking the desktop should make the icons reappear.
  • We do not ship VMWare Guest Tools on our images, and it cannot be manually installed. When running Endless OS on VMWare you will not be able to use advanced features like shared folders. We are looking into improving the situation here in the future.
  • When importing our virtual machine into VMWare Player, you may receive an error message saying that the file does not pass their virtual appliance conformance checks. Clicking on Retry here should clear this message and get the import process started.
2 Likes

Thanks, this appears to have significantly improved things in GNOME Software.

I know it’s too late for 3.8.1, but for a future release could we update to simple-scan 3.36.2 when it becomes available in debian? (bullseye and sid both have 3.36.1 currently). The “use higher bit depth on text scans” would be an improvement for me and the other changes look useful too https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/simple-scan/-/blob/gnome-3-36/NEWS

Similarly, picking this patch for xdg-desktop-portal-gtk would unbreak my brain every time I see it https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk/pull/270 (you likely don’t want to update to the 1.7 series yet)

Thanks @nedrichards for the suggestions, we will look into that.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.