Flatpak Software - Wishlist

Great news! TuxGuitar is a fine piece of software and I’m sure it will be well received within the community.

Regards

1 Like

As an aside, MuseScore is available in the App Center now if people are looking for music notation software.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. :grinning:

1 Like

Agree … We need Teamviewer for helping us working … And Also need WPS Office as subtitution of Libre Office

WPS seems good and its added value is an excellent support for oriental languages, however, I think it is a good complement to the availability of LibreOffice, it is the desktop client of OnlyOffice, since it handles a large number of input formats, mainly OOXML and ODF in addition to offering collaborative tools, etc. For example I have had better results to see OOXML documents in OnlyOffice vs WPS (especially Excel documents).

1 Like

So did the eMail return from the developer about that specific flatpack ?

Saying that, I would like to flatpack cmatrix and quassel for example.

How about Mozilla Thunderbird Flatpak? I find the repo here: https://github.com/vrutkovs/flatpak-thunderbird
Also can’t wait for Firefox Quantum on Flatpak :smiley:

1 Like

nonline: quassel is now available in the app center, thanks to flathub.

See Unofficial Firefox Flatpak repo.

3 Likes

I just recently bought a new ASUS 541 laptop to my wife.

Though she does not have problems with the Endless OS Linux GUI (after Win10), she really wish to use the Opera browser, as it is much more lightweight and faster than Chrome or Firefox. Chromium is nice, but as she told, the Opera on her old laptop runs smoother that the Chromium, Chrome or Firefox on this (we tested all three).
( BTW I showed Opera to 8 different people in the last months, and especially on smartphones the people are amused how easy to use and fast this browser. Certainly it is my preferred browser on all platforms)

Opera has a Linux and Linux64 version too, but installation of the package is not allowed, due to the known reasons.

Question:
What is required to add Opera to the App manager and get a proper Flatpak release? As I understood, it is not so easy.

tic-tac-toe would be cool in python @Neil_Vila

1 Like

Anki and Enpass would be great. thanks a lot

app request:

• hardware info
  • hardware test suite
  • benchmarking tools
  • GPU tester & benchmarking

Our new laptop got delivered with EndlessOS pre-installed, and EOS has unfortunately castrated apt-get etc., so we cannot do what we would do with any new machine - test it for hardware flaws, and get a benchmarking comparison. Before we continue with wiping the HD, installing a real Linux, Windows for gaming, etc.

Crossposted also here: https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1294

MMSZoli: What you need for an Opera install is Flatpak that uses the extra-data mechanism to download the app from opera and unpack it inside a flatpak container. There are many examples of this sort of app on Flathub, such as spotify https://github.com/flathub/com.spotify.Client/blob/master/com.spotify.Client.json . If you need help then feel free to share an in progress manifest and we’ll see what we can do.

My only concern over Opera would be if it already uses Chromium’s sandboxing - you can’t currently stack multiple sandboxes inside each other in Linux which makes it tough to ship Chrome as a Flatpak.

I would like something like teamviewer or VNC to control the computer over internet and endless OS will be perfect !

In lieu of an official TeamViewer Flatpak, I’d also settle for a Chrome Remote Desktop Host Flatpak. The DEB is already available. How much work would it require to repackage it?

@Rocky_Carr it’s usually pretty easy to repackage a deb - have a look at this one that repackages slack as an example: https://github.com/flathub/com.slack.Slack/blob/master/com.slack.Slack.json

In my free time over the weekend I tried to repackage teamviewer, sadly it wants to use some pretty intrusive syscalls which are disabled by the Bubblewrap Sandbox that Flatpak uses: https://github.com/projectatomic/bubblewrap I haven’t had more time to dig into what it uses and try and work out if it should be possible but it won’t be an ‘easy hack’.

1 Like

I also tried opera, which fails because the sandbox binary needs to be setuid which, as the readme linked above states, is banned in flatpak sandboxes to prevent sandbox escape hacks.

The lack of a Remote Desktop client is the only thing that is holding up our plans to switch our entire operation over to Endless from another Linux distro. Our organization donates refurbished desktop and notebook computers to K-12 students, as well as adults who take our digital literacy classes. We’ve donated over 30,000 computers since 2003.

We need a reliable Remote Desktop solution in order to provide technical support to our recipients. Sadly, none of us here are programmers, and although the Slack example you provided looks short and sweet, none of us here have the skills to make use of it.

I do appreciate your efforts to repackage TeamViewer and Opera. Hopefully, there will be a solution that we can make use of in the near future. We absolutely love Endless OS, and we can’t wait to start shipping it to our recipients.

totally agree with you @Rocky_Carr

I would like to install endless OS for my grandfather who discovers the IT but if haven’t a remote desktop software it’s not possible…

not necessarily teamviewer, just a simple remote desktop software.

thanks