Flatpak Software - Wishlist

@Rocky_Carr @Gerard_1

How about using Remote Desktop Viewer/Vinagre (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Vinagre)?

It’s a local remote desktop software… Not for remote a computer over Internet. Hard to configure…

It would be really cool to have Le sphynx on my endless computer

Flatpak works better overtime and more software is available. There remains some problems with flatpak applications however. Gnome-Document and Gnome-Photos do not connect with online services to display content. Both should use “Online Account” preferences and retrieve data from Google as well as Microsoft. Gnome-Web (Epiphany) is working well as a slim browser. It does not however display the option of “Save Page as App”. It is a feature that I use often. Gradio is a very nice internet radio station browser it works well, but for whatever reason it does not look much like the screen shots displayed in the software center.

The improvements in flatpak over the last year have been substantial and hopefully more issues will be resolved with upcoming releases.
bill

There remains some problems with flatpak applications however. Gnome-Document and Gnome-Photos do not connect with online services to display content. Both should use “Online Account” preferences and retrieve data from Google as well as Microsoft.

I can’t find the relevant bug report, but I know that GNOME developers are aware of this issue, and there is some exploration going on.

Gradio is a very nice internet radio station browser it works well, but for whatever reason it does not look much like the screen shots displayed in the software center.

Gradio is hosted on Flathub, outside of Endless, so the screenshots come from the Gradio developers directly. Probably they haven’t updated the screenshots recently. You could try reporting it to Gradio here: https://github.com/haecker-felix/gradio/issues

Thanks for the response. I am waiting patiently or impatiently depending on my mood of the day. Ready and easy access to my online content will be a boost to my use of Endless. I have Internet(Chromium) setup with a half dozen pinned tabs, which I use for my web apps and I do my general browsing with Epiphany (Gnome-Web).

Gradio screen shots show several buttons in the title bar, that simply are not there when it is installed. I wanted to try installing it on another Linux system to see how it looked before I looked at making a bug report.

Endless calls its file manager Documents, and its photo manger Photos which means installing the flatpak Gnome applications makes for 2 Photos and Document applications on the system. I am not sure why Endless choose to rename Files (Nautilus) and Shotwell. I think it would be best to use the names those applications have long been know by. Calling Shotwell, Photos is not too bad, but Files (Nautilus) being called Documents seems confulsing to me mostly because documents are only a small part of what it organizes. Using the same logic you could have called it Photos, or Movies or Music. In *nix everything is a file and that is indeed what it organizes.

bill

I would love to have enpass, password manager. Any chance?

Also Anki would be great for students. Many thanks for your efforts!

1 Like

TeX Live, TeXMaker, something to read fb2-format

For FictionBook try with Bookworm on flathub or FBReader appimage.

I would really like to see a backup utility with a timed backup solution.

And Mumble :slight_smile:

br.
Brian D

A Linux developer I spoke with recently told me that the reason that TeamViewer isn’t available is that the current version for Linux is actually the Windows version in a wrapper, and that a complete rewrite of TeamViewer is planned in order to provide a genuine Linux version. He wasn’t able to give me any details beyond that, so here’s hoping!

@Rocky_Carr
https://community.endlessos.com/t/how-to-access-endless-os-in-remote-access/5690?u=leandrostanger

That works remarkably well! Awesome!

SSR SimpleScreenRecorder would be nice, I tried to make a review and used OBS-Studio and it gave me the “your GPU is not supported” thing and I had to show it on VirtualBox which is not my style and not good for testing either :frowning:

Hi Dirkme,

You can press ctrl+alt+shift+r to start the build in screen recorder. Press the same keys again to stop the recording. It should save it to ~/Videos/ for you.

Thanks, but as much as I understand it won’t work with sound …

Synology Disk Station Clients would be a must have.

Synology Note Station

Synology Drive

Synology Cloud Backup

They are available as DEB files but need gdebi to install I guess.

That is correct. I usually record the audio with Audacity and then combine the two together using something like Kdenlive or PiTiVi.

You can also get Peek from the App Center, which will record to an animated gif

It wouldn’t work even if you had gdebi, because the /usr/ filesystem is image-based and managed by OSTree instead of dpkg

That’s a boomer :wink: got to use next-cloud then :wink: