Issues with updates - I am not able to update anything

Hi,

I am not able to update my Endless OS 3. In fact, I am not able to update anything for few months now. It shows me a note “new updates available”, it takes me to App center and than a message “Gnome missing”. It usually disappears! quickly and I didn’t take a photo. I was reading help topic. Tried to use Terminal app, but on my Acer laptop, this application doesn’t exist. There is the name in my applications, but when I press open, it takes me to app center with the message “this app doesn’t exist”. Please help!

Please send us a diagnostic by following the steps from this article:

https://support.endlessos.org/en/help-center/How-do-I-make-a-debug-log-of-Endless-OS

Hi Byron,

Here you can find the eos-diagnostics file. I am not able to access Terminal app. It doesn’t exist on my laptop.
eos-diagnostic-201016_161148_UTC 0200.txt (2.1 MB)

1 Like

Hi Byron,

Did you check the rod diagnostics file? Could you tell me how to fix my issue with updates?

Regards,
Irena

1 Like

You can enter a fullscreen terminal session by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 and logging in there. Then run:

eos-updater-ctl update --force
flatpak update --appstream -y
flatpak update -y
2 Likes

I know that this is a bit stupid question, but could you tell me with which log in details I should continue? I don’t have a password for my laptop. Did you mean the log in which I am using to enter here?

To log in on the console, enter your username and your password. Your username is the one you entered during the setup. Your username (according to the log) is irena.

To get back to the Graphical User Interface after you completed these commands, press Ctrl-Alt-F1

Thank you for the user name. The problem is that I don’t remember setting up anything. Is there a way to check the log in details? I don’t remember that I set up the account and I don’t have a password.

I managed to finish all steps. On the end it showed - error - gnome not found in red. I don’t think it worked

I followed the steps. Unfortunately, there is no progress. There is still an error message “remote gnome not found”. What is the next step? Is there any other way?

Regards,
Irena

First of all, press Alt-F2, then enter gnome-terminal and press enter. This will open a Terminal window.

Then, run the following command in there:

flatpak update -y | tee ~/eos-updater.txt
journalctl -f -u eos-updater | tee -a ~/eos-updater.txt

Now press Ctrl-Shift-N to open another Terminal window. Run the following command there:

eos-updater-ctl update --force

When the command has been finished, close both windows and upload the generated file eos-updater.txt from your homedirectory here in this thread.

Hi Egrath,

I just finished all steps. I don’t have any document to send in my home directory. Check the photos.

I got something. I hope that this what you wanted to see
eos-updater.txt (9.2 KB)

Interesting, it seems from all gathered logs that your system is at the latest software versions already… (Operating system and Flatpaks)

That sounds great, but remote gnome expired and I need updates. I am not sure how it can be on latest version. Last time when I got notification for update, it didn’t work.

This is how my app center looks when I go to check updates. Is there something that can be done to get the plugin? It seems that gnome plugin expired and now there is nothing to handle updates.

We had some user who had the same issue as you “no plugin could handle get-updates”. See if the solutions there maybe help you too:

I just tried the commands in the solution you sent me. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. It still shows an error in app centre “remote gnome not found”. Do you have more commands that could help?

I made a new eos diagnostic file for you to check.
eos-diagnostic-201029_225447_UTC 0100.txt (1.0 MB)

Please run in a Terminal:

sudo /usr/sbin/eos-update-flatpak-repos | tee ~/eos-update-flatpak-repos.txt 

This can take a longer time to finish. When finished, upload the generated file from your homedirectory here.